Thursday, July 2, 2009

Crazy Morning

Gay and I have been carpooling and dropped of the boys at my mom's house this morning. As we're driving down the road, we notice a man, with a bike on him, lying in the ditch. She rolls down her window and asks if he's okay ~ no response....SIR....SIR..... nothing. She backs up and pulls into the ditch. I jump out of the car and run to him. Check his pulse - faint, but there. I touch his chest - he's breathing. Thank goodness I didn't have to put my CPR skills to use. Gay got him a peach. He said he'd been riding since midnight & had not eaten in several days. He was disoriented so we had him stay on the ground. We got him talking and he told us that he was planning to commit suicide - had a rope tied to his bike to do just that. Several people stopped but went on. I asked one man to call 911 to have someone check him out. Gay put her counseling skills in effect and it was great - she talked to him and helped him feel like he's not alone and nothing is worth taking your life. Paramedics arrived although "mike" didn't want to go with them. The police arrived. He shook his head. He had a warrant so they handcuffed him and put him in the police car. Mixed emotions -- we were sad that he was in trouble, yet hopeful that a roof, food and a bed would help, albeit in jail. I hope he gives life another chance...because my big sis gave him plenty of reasons to do just that!

About Me

My photo
I am a 30 something Wife, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Friend. I have 3 amazing sons, an incredible husband and 3 fur babies.