Monday, August 4, 2008

The Fishing Trip

Day 1: My brother Jon, my best friend Beth and my boyfriend Dennis and I were getting away for the weekend. We headed to the coast about 10:00 AM on Friday. At 10:30, I had my first beer. Give me a break – this is officially my “VACATION”…besides, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right? After several hours in the car and many drinks later, we arrive and head for the water. The ride out wasn’t too bad, partly because of the high level of intoxication. We fish for a few hours and get nothing so we decide to grab some dinner…the corndogs and burritos from the convenient store weren’t holding us over. I think I almost fell face first into my dinner, I was so exhausted.

Day 2: Up at the crack of dawn, before 6 AM and get on the boat. The mosquitoes were awful. For some reason, the mosquitoes in this area are the size of small birds. We head out. I sit on the floor of the boat because I feel safer. We start our adventure. The boat was going so freaking fast, I was a nervous wreck……where are my xanax? Beth and I both were preparing for the boat to flip at any given moment. Our knuckles were white from gripping every part of the boat that we thought would hold us in. We finally get to the point where we’ll stop and start fishing. Poor Beth. She got sick. She asked for the coast guard, but this really was not a medical emergency. I got a bite. It was big. I had to put the belt on. I had my feet pressed against the side of the boat, belt on, Dennis holding me, then holding my pole. This fish was not giving up. I fought him for a while and ultimately, the line broke. BUMMER! I had a big one. We continued on fishing in different locations. Dennis caught a kingfish and a pink fish, I caught some bait fish – as did Jon, but no keepers. Did I mention Beth was still sick? Yea….she was sick the entire day. Oh….and I caught three fish at one time, that’s impressive, right?

About Me

My photo
I am a 30 something Wife, Mother, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Friend. I have 3 amazing sons, an incredible husband and 3 fur babies.